Saturday, October 5, 2013

After finishing the St George Marathon, what was left of the cartilage in my right knee, slowly disappeared to nothing. This occurrence has terminated my running. 
I have run since i was a teenager, i have always identified myself as 'a runner',  and having that taken away from me was a very difficult thing to deal with. I cried for months, then just teared up and pouted for a few months. I eventually gave myself a mental wake up and picked my sorry self up and decided to do something else. 
So i got on my mountain bike - Blue Bessie - and started cycling around. 5 or 6 miles a couple times a week and then maybe 8 - 10 on the weekend. I really enjoyed the biking, but just could not add very much mileage.
So, one day, a friend of mine (who forgot i could not run anymore) sent me a link to a 1/2 marathon. Inviting me to run with her.
I longingly clicked on the link to the SOJO Marathon. Much to my surprise, it was officially called - SOJO Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, 5k, and..... BIKE TOUR!!!
The bike tour was 25 miles, traveling mostly along the marathon route, starting a short time before the marathon.
I got in touch of a friend of mine who rides..  we decided to do this event, especially since her husband was running the 1/2. We had 4 weeks to train.
The first time out training on the route, i was on Blue Bessie, and my friend - Jenn - was on a very nice looking road bike.
Needless to say, I STRUGGLED. I had just spent 6 months pouting and only riding a very little. I was not in shape for 25 miles.
The first 6 miles are - up slope - up hill - up slope - up hill. Then flats for 10 miles before one more last uphill.
Jenn had to wait for me a number of times, and i actually lost site of her - a lot!!
When i got home that day after 19 miles, i decided if cycling was going to be my main sport, i needed a new bike.
The sales person i went to at the Bicycle Center in Salt Lake City was very helpful. 
After looking at bikes in my original price range, we settle up a couple steps in both bike performance and pricing. I purchased a Specialized Dolce Sport - and am LOVING it.
The freedom i and confidence i feel is amazing. And today, training on the route with Jenn again, and actually more of the route today, I felt just plain Joy!
I feel this bike was definitely worth the cost. 
I am scheduled to have a total knee replacement in January and hoping for success and continuing my cycling journey far into the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment