Saturday, October 12, 2013

Life lesson learned today.
Cycling in 48 degree weather, with strong cool winds from the south, requires more clothing coverage than running in 48 degree weather!

Yesterday was my birthday and i did not get a 'birthday celebration cycle' in, so i went out today.
Planned out a route that was about 20 miles, not too much climbing so i would be ready for my 'event' next Saturday.
48 degrees on the phone, so i wore shorts and a light short sleeved t-shirt under a Nike running 1/4 zip warm fuzzy running outer layer.
All was just fine until i got clear of my neighborhood and there were not any more houses for wind protection. When you can see snow on the mountain tops of the closest mountains, not a good sign if you are wearing shorts.
My fingers went a bit numb and my legs were quite chilled, but i was heading north and east for a few miles and did not realize, until i turned south, that a very chilly wind was blowing in strongly from the south.
I had planned this direction as my longest stretch because it is relatively flat down this street,
4800 S., but with this head wind, all of me got chilled and i had to keep my head down so my eyes would not water so bad i couldn't see!
Turning west away from the headwind and proceeding up an incline, my whole body warmed up some, but that windy ride for 5 miles took a lot out of me. When i finally got home I had only gone 15.72 miles. Still glad i got my ride in, and still loving it!
Now shopping for cycling capris!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment