Saturday, October 19, 2013

Yay!!! We finished the SOJO Bike Tour. An event with the SOJO Marathon, Half Marathon, Bike Tour and 5k.


Started off at a TRAX Station on Old Bingham Hwy in West Jordan Utah at 7:15am .
Temps were in the 30's, there were about 40 cyclists heading out with jackets, long riding tights, and lots of blinking lighting. I bought warmer gloves for this and wish i had worn them, my fingers were literally numb!
We headed west at an incline for 2 miles, a very short straight then a very steep short downhill and right back up again.
Another incline for about 2.5 miles then a very steep .5 mile hill, then the next 10 miles were watching the sunrise going down and mostly east and flat. 
My riding partner and I were at the tail end by this time, only one other rider in sight.
We caught up with the 1/2 marathoners and rode through lots of neighbors, one more hill - Temple Hill on 4000 west, and long busy streets that the organizers were able to cone off almost a complete lane for the runners and bikers, and the police were out in force to stop cross traffic at all intersections. This was extremely well appreciated! 

The city did a great job to support this event and we had a great time.
I will say though, for me, riding west into the rising sun is something i will have to prepare for with darker sunglasses in the future. Thank goodness for my riding partner Jenn, there were times when all i could see was her in front of me. If i did not have her to follow, i would have been blinded by the sun and definitely crashed, a lot of times!!!!
It was a great time for my first cycling event.
We did not finish last! Yay for that too! it was a fun and fulfilling morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment