Thursday, October 24, 2013

My first crash today!!!

I decided to experiment on the Mountain Corridor bike path (which thankfully is separate from the highway). There is one spot that has dried and muddy run off from the field next to it. Two semi dried batches in a row. As i came up on the first one I thought to myself 'i wonder how much control i will actually have on drying mud ruts' so i rode through the first patch, Almost losing control. It was tough to hang on, but i regained control - almost - but not conpletely. The second patch of muddy ruts was worse, and i lost it. went over my handle bars hard! The only saving part is i landed off the paved trail onto a small mound of soft silt, on the side of my head!

I was dazed, startled, confused, and covered with dirt as i slowly got up. Two drivers on the adjacent highway stopped and a sweet gentlemen about 70 - 75 and dressed in a suit hurried across the patch of weeds and dirt that separate the trail from the actual highway, and asked me if i was ok. He picked up my bike and asked if i needed a ride home. I kind of just stared at him, a bit in a daze and also starting to feel pain in my head and neck. I tried brushing myself off, and trying to settle my glasses back on my face but they had gotten tweaked out of shape. I told him i was ok and would walk home, in retrospect I realize we were kind of in the middle of nowhere that must have sounded ridiculous to him. The other driver was a middle aged woman with a hispanic accent, she also came and asked if i was ok, then asked a couple times if i wanted a ride home. I replied to them both, thank you for stopping, i just need to walk it off. 
Arghhh, i was in a daze, but i had my phone and called my son to come and pick me up.
Walking while waiting for him i experience blurred vision on the edge of my peripheral vision, my head started pounding, and my neck was getting increasingly stiffer and painful.

When he pulled up i handed him my bike and got in, feeling great relief at sitting down.
The first thing he said 'i knew this was going to eventually happen. I watch cycling videos and old people shouldn't ride bikes!!'
I replied, i knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and now it finally has.
I am typing this 10 hours later, i couldn't go to work because my neck was too painful to even walk or
move much. It is still quite painful, but my headache and dizziness are mostly gone.

It was a beautiful day, I am mostly disappointed i did not get to finish my ride as there are probably not too many nice days left before the cold weather arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment